An in-depth look at the new features of Java 8
What’s new in Java 8
This is PART 1 of a two part course looking at the new features of Java 8.
In this part, we take an in-depth look at lambdas and their supporting features; things like functional interfaces and type inference. In the follow up course (PART 2), we look at the remaining features.
After watching this course, you’ll
- Have an overview of new features in Java 8
- Understand lambdas in-depth, their background, syntax, implementation details and how and when to use them
- Understand the difference between functions to classes and why that’s relevant to lambdas
- Understand the difference between lambdas and closures
- Appreciate the improvements to type inference that drive a lot of the new features
- Be able to use method references and understand scoping and “effectively final”
- Understand the differences in bytecode produced when using lambdas
- Be able to reason about exceptions and exception handling best practice when using lambdasvariables
So whether you’re migrating existing Java programs to Java 8 or building applications from scratch, this course will help you start to leverage the power of functional programming on the Java platform.
What are the requirements?
- Previous experience with Java (pre Java-8)
- An IDE to practice and experiment with the examples
- Java Software Development Kit (SDK) available FREE from Oracle
What am I going to get from this course?
- Over 19 lectures and 2 hours of content!
- A FREE companion eBook to support your study
- Get an overview of (almost) all of the new features in Java 8
- Gain in-depth understanding of the major new features in Java 8 that you can apply straight away
What is the target audience?
- Anyone interested in learning about Java 8
- Prior knowledge and experience of pre Java-8 is advantagous
What’s new in Java 8 online course is specifically designed to teach the skills needed to succeed in your life. This is an on-demand video (and audio) based course that you can go through at your own pace, and includes practice problems which reinforce the skills taught in the course.
Download What’s new in Java 8 here :
|Section 1: Introduction|
Introducing the course
What’s New in Java 8
|Section 2: Introduction to Lambdas|
λs in Functional Programming
Functions vs Classes
λ Basic Syntax
|Section 3: Lambdas In-depth|
Method & Constructor References
Scope & Effectively Final
Lambdas vs Closures
Invocation & Bytecode (invokedynamic vs invokestatic)
Invocation & Bytecode (full source and byte code)
Lambdas In-depth Quiz
|Section 4: Java 7 Recap|
Java 7 Article originally printed by Jaxenter
What’s new in Java 8 is a step-by-step guide to helping you a good understanding in specific skill. The course shows students the most efficient solution method for each problem type, and how to use the techniques. The application of the techniques to the most common case types definitely helped solidify my understanding of the techniques introduced.
Download What’s new in Java 8 here :
Understanding Auditory Processing Disorders Student Reviews
- Quick tour of lambdas and closures– Rubén Resino
Very knowledgable and eloquent instructor, It’s a good course and I recommend it. Although I would have liked to seen some exercises provided as part of the course. – Ali Hosseini
Comprehensive course to add java 8 lambdas to your toolbox.
You will find this is one of the most well thought out and crisp presentations on Udemy. Toby has an in-depth grasp on how lambdas function and delivers that knowledge in a well paced and clear manner. Toby’s teachings are neatly packed with all information you need to start using lambas with Java 8. Even if you know lambdas, the course works through some scenarios with Exception handling and helps clear up some confusions you may have. There are also insightful coverage of the Java opcodes to help understand how the new syntax is being compiled to work on the JVM. – Jonathan Johnson
|What’s new in Java 8 Instructor Biography|
Toby Weston , Independent Software Developer
I specialise in modern software development; functional and object-oriented programming, agile and lean best practice. I wrote the book Essential Acceptance Testing and have written for magazines as well as regularly blogging. I’ve been part of the software industry for more than fifteen years and love what I do. I love talking and writing about it and sharing my experiences online with Udemy.
Take This Course What’s new in Java 8 :
related What’s new in Java 8
easiest way What’s new in Java 8, How to What’s new in Java 8, easy and simple What’s new in Java 8, best What’s new in Java 8, What’s new in Java 8 course, What’s new in Java 8 ebook